Driffield Online
The online community for the Yorkshire Wolds

Aike
Atwick
Bainton
Barmston
Beeford
Beswick
Bewholme
Brandesburton
Brigham
Burton Agnes
Burton Fleming
Butterwick
Cottam
Cowlam
Cranswick
Dalton Holme
Dringhoe
Duggleby
Dunnington
Eastburn
Elmswell
Emmotland
Fimber
Fordon
Foston-on-the-Wolds
Foxholes
Fridaythorpe
Garton-on-the-Wolds
Gembling
Gransmoor
Haisthorpe
Harpham
Helperthorpe
Hempholme
Huggate
Hutton
Kelk
Kelleythorpe
Kilham
Kilnwick
Kiplingcotes
Kirkburn
Langtoft
Lissett
Little Driffield
Lockington
Lowthorpe
Lund
Middleton-on-the-Wolds
Nafferton
Neswick
North Dalton
North Frodingham
Octon
Rotsea
Rudston
Ruston Parva
Scorborough
Skerne
Skipsea
Sledmere
Southburn
Sunderlandwick
Thixendale
Thornholme
Thwing
Tibthorpe
Tophill Low
Towthorpe
Ulrome
Wansford
Warter
Watton
Weaverthorpe
Wetwang
Wilfholme
Wold Newton

Credits

Back to Index

The Villages of the Yorkshire Wolds

YO25 9P

Helperthorpe


Helperthorpe is a peaceful village of about 40 houses and 6 farms. On either side are rolling hills planted with crops or as pasture for sheep.

The Church of St Peter stands above the village. The original wooden church was pulled down in 1872 and replaced in 1875. The church and vicarage were designed by the famous architect G.E.Street and paid for by Sir Tatton Sykes, Baronet and Lord of the manor. The church has an oak-panelled roof, which is richly painted in red, blue and gold. This was restored in1998.

A settlement has been on this site before records began, and the village is on the course of the Gypsey Race (stream). Village life is much quieter now than it was in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The Village Pub last opened its doors around 1940. The Methodist Chapel (last used in 1968) was demolished in 1997. And in 2000 the village lost its resident vicar.

The village is notable for the long green, which runs along the south side of the main road, which traverses the village east to west. On the green are a number of large Chestnut and Beech trees planted in 1911 to commemorate the coronation of King George V.

Mains sewerage, mobile phone reception and Channel 5 have yet to reach Helperthorpe. The residents voted in 1959 not to have electric street lighting and so it is not uncommon to see a lone torchlight making its way home on a winter’s night.

{short description of image}



{short description of image}

Visit the Helperthorpe website for more information and history of this elegant Yorkshire Wolds Village {short description of image}



{short description of image} {short description of image} {short description of image}
{short description of image} {short description of image}
{short description of image} {short description of image}


{short description of image} Village pictures courtesy of Helperthorpe.net



Helperthorpe Church
St Peters Church which was rebuilt in 1875
Helperthorpe village
Helperthorpe's Main Street and Village Green
Helperthorpe Church
Helperthorpe village
{short description of image}
Return to the Index PageVisit the Wolds Forums