is situated at the foot of the Yorkshire Wolds. It is a designated
conservation area due to the varying number of properties and
historical features in the village.
There are a number of 18th Century houses bearing
date stones indicating when they were built, like Nab House built
in 1778. Many properties have been restored but there are a large
number of new properties that have been built.
The Mere is the focal point of the village. It was once a mill
pond which supplied water power to several water mills situated on
its south east bank. The last mills and maltings were demolished
in 1985 and the land redeveloped for building new houses.
The Smiths Flour Mill still stands on Station Road having
been built in 1878 it now stands empty and disused.
All Saints Church stands in a commanding position on a rise
in the Village. It is a large Norman built church with a
perpendicular tower, north aisle and clerestory. There are a
number of curious medieval monuments inside.
The original Village school was built in 1845 and is now St
Francis Preparatory School with the primary school now located
near to the church.
The main railway line from Hull To Scarborough still runs through
the Village and it has a number of facilities including a Post
Office and newsagents, a supermarket, a fish and chip shop, a coal
merchants and four public houses, The Star, The Kings Head, The
Cross Keys and The Blue Bell.
The street names are all so characteristic with names like
Priestgate, Coppergate and Nethergate and pavements are adorned
with a variety of pots containing plants and flowers.
The Nafferton Online
Recieved from :