The Wold Wide Web
The digital community for the Yorkshire Wolds

Aike
Atwick
Bainton
Barmston
Beeford
Beswick
Bewholme
Brandesburton
Brigham
Burton Agnes
Burton Fleming
Butterwick
Cottam
Cowlam
Cranswick
Dalton Holme
Dringhoe
Duggleby
Dunnington
Eastburn
Elmswell
Emmotland
Fimber
Fordon
Foston-on-the-Wolds
Foxholes
Fridaythorpe
Garton-on-the-Wolds
Gembling
Gransmoor
Haisthorpe
Harpham
Helperthorpe
Hempholme
Huggate
Hutton
Kelk
Kelleythorpe
Kilham
Kilnwick
Kiplingcotes
Kirkburn
Langtoft
Lissett
Little Driffield
Lockington
Lowthorpe
Lund
Middleton-on-the-Wolds
Nafferton
Neswick
North Dalton
North Frodingham
Octon
Rotsea
Rudston
Rudston Parva
Scorborough
Skerne
Skipsea
Sledmere
Southburn
Sunderlandwick
Thixendale
Thornholme
Thwing
Tibthorpe
Tophill Low
Towthorpe
Ulrome
Wansford
Warter
Watton
Weaverthorpe
Wetwang
Wilfholme
Wold Newton

Credits

Back to Index

The Villages of the Yorkshire Wolds

Beeford

Situated around the crossroads where the A165 crosses the B1249 Beeford is a long, spread out village with estates and houses branching off the two main streets. The village shop has once again closed down but there is still the village post office, a local butchers shop and a large doctors surgery which serves the village and the surrounding area.

The village can also boast two public houses, The Tiger and The Yorkshire Rose, and a Fish Shop and Supper Room. The supper room started life as the village blacksmith’s shop then became a cycle repair shop and during the 2nd World War was a soldier’s wash room. It was then a plumber’s and electrician’s showroom before becoming the fish shop once again.

Along the main street can be found the Methodist Chapel which was built in 1868, Beeford C of E Primary School and the Community Centre which was built after funds were raised by the villagers themselves.

All the houses and gardens in the Village are tidy and well cared for and so too is the church of St Leonard. A lovely stone church with a 15th Century embattled western tower with a statue on the outside of the tower which stands above a beautiful stained glass window. Inside the chancel lies the effigy of Rev Thomas Tonge, who was a former rector at the church, dated 1472.

The surrounding area is mainly of very flat agricultural land. There are a large number of farms and small holdings which surround the village, some which offer camping and caravanning and bed and breakfast facilities.

{short description of image}
Awaiting Village Photograghs

Awaiting picture

Awaiting Village Photograghs

Awaiting picture

 
 
 
Return to the Index PageVisit the Wolds Online Forums