B1253 can be found the tiny hamlet if Thwing whos name is
derived from the Scandinavian language meaning "strip of high
land". The area is mainly agriculture and the richly coloured
view of the surrounding area gives this Village a tranquil air
There is a Post Office and a Public House
named The Rampant Horse, but the village is made up of private
dwellings and farm buildings and with names like Pear Tree Farm
and Herb Cottage there is a certain character about all the homes.
All Saints Church is a 12th Century building
retaining many of its original Norman features. The communal
silver plate was presented to the church in 1689 by Thomas
Lamplugh who was born in nearby Octon. He became Archbishop of
York in 1688 and his name lives on in the area in the title of
Lamplugh House which is situated nearby. It was opened in 1973 as
a Christian Conference Centre for young people and attracts both
clergy and laymen from home and abroad.