B1248 descends down Tye Howe Hill and rises again as it twists and
turns through the narrow main street of this wolds village which
lies in the bottom of a dale. It is famous for its freak weather
conditions in days gone by and has been known to flood when there
has been heavy rain. There is a plaque on a wall on the corner of
Back Street which says, "In commemoration of the great flood
of Langtoft April 10th 1657 Height of flood unknown.
Also the great flood of Langtoft July 3rd 1892 Height
of flood 71/2 feet."
There is evidence in Langtoft
of the chalk land on which the Wolds lie as many of the gardens
have been cut into the hillside making them very steep in places.
One row of houses has been named Hillside Gardens with this in
mind. The houses are a mixture of both original houses built in
years gone by which have been restored to their former glory and
others which are newly built properties some using recycled brick
to keep in with the original properties.
There is a
steep side street which goes past the primary school and leads to
St Peters Church and The Rectory. There was a thorough
restoration of the church in 1900 when the north aisle was added.
But some of the original work is that of the tower, south porch
and some of the south aisle. The font came from the church left in
the village of Cottom, which was left deserted after the Black
Death swept through the small community. This is from the Norman
The Village has its own outdoor bowling green
near to a small green at the southern end of the village, on which
stands a memorial to one of Englands oldest poets, Peter de
Langtoft, who was born in the village in the 13th
Century. He died a Canon at Bridlington Priory Church in the reign
of Edward II. The memorial was erected by Sir Tatton Sykes of
Sledmere. There is also St Marys Methodist Chapel found on
Back Street and the local public house is The Ship Inn which
serves food and drink.
Opposite the Ship Inn is the
village green which is situated in the middle of the village. This
green was once where the village pond was situated but it was
filled in many years ago. The area is still called "the pond"
by locals, also situated here is the war memorial.
the road passes through the village and rises steeply at the other
side, on a road just off to the left can be found The Old Mill.
The property has been restored and is now a popular bar and eating