Driffield Online
The digital community for the Yorkshire Wolds

Aike
Atwick
Bainton
Barmston
Beeford
Beswick
Bewholme
Brandesburton
Brigham
Burton Agnes
Burton Fleming
Butterwick
Cottam
Cowlam
Cranswick
Dalton Holme
Dringhoe
Duggleby
Dunnington
Eastburn
Elmswell
Emmotland
Fimber
Fordon
Foston-on-the-Wolds
Foxholes
Fridaythorpe
Garton-on-the-Wolds
Gembling
Gransmoor
Haisthorpe
Harpham
Helperthorpe
Hempholme
Huggate
Hutton
Kelk
Kelleythorpe
Kilham
Kilnwick
Kiplingcotes
Kirkburn
Langtoft
Lissett
Little Driffield
Lockington
Lowthorpe
Lund
Middleton-on-the-Wolds
Nafferton
Neswick
North Dalton
North Frodingham
Octon
Rotsea
Rudston
Ruston Parva
Scorborough
Skerne
Skipsea
Sledmere
Southburn
Sunderlandwick
Thixendale
Thornholme
Thwing
Tibthorpe
Tophill Low
Towthorpe
Ulrome
Wansford
Warter
Watton
Weaverthorpe
Wetwang
Wilfholme
Wold Newton

Credits

Back to Index

The Villages of the Yorkshire Wolds

YO25 9P

Fridaythorpe


The busy A166 road from Driffield to York passes through the middle of the village which is one of the highest on the Wolds at 500 feet above sea level and the view is spectacular on a clear day. The horseshoe of houses is named "Wolds View" and gives just that! A beautiful view of the Yorkshire . One of the newest properties to be built in the village in 1998/99 has been named "Wolds Way" after the number of walks which take the hardy walker right across the Wolds. The Old School which stands on the York Road was closed many years ago.

Fridaythorpe has its own butchers shop, a garage which not only sells fuel but also has a shop and newsagents attached.

The Manor House Inn and Restaurant has been extensively modernised from the original Manor house of 1470, and boasts excellent catering and accommodation facilities.

The Cross Keys public house was sadly demolished
in 2001 to make way for a new housing development.

The tiny St Mary’s Church stands well away from the main road in a quiet lane in the centre of the village and in 1999 was undergoing some building work. It has a most unusual clock on its exterior wall made of wood with bold black and white scrollwork. The clock is believed to have been copied from one like it in an 18th century French chateau and announces "Time is Short, Eternity is Long".

The once called Fridaythorpe Mill is now owned and named by ABN and is an extremely busy mill providing work for many of the local community.

One can find some unusual bell shaped concrete blocks along side the B 1251 as you leave the village. These were placed by a man called Mr Newark Andrews, a local farmer, to mark the entrance to his fields in the 1960’s and still remain in situe.

{short description of image}

 



YO25 9P
{short description of image}

The unusual clock at St Mary's Church

{short description of image}

The Manor House Inn and Restaurant


 

{short description of image}
{short description of image}
{short description of image}
{short description of image}
{short description of image}
{short description of image}
{short description of image}
{short description of image}
Return to the Index PageVisit the Wolds Online Forums