Village of Brandesburton is now bypassed by the A165 leaving it
much quieter than in years gone by. It has an air of wealth about
it, with many new properties being built in the past few years
attracting more people to the village which offers two public
houses The Black Swan and the Dacre Arms, along with The Fu Ho
Specialist Peking and Cantonese Restaurant along the main street
and a Fish and Chip shop, so there is plenty of food stops to
choose from. The village also has its own Post Office, village
shop, Costcutter supermarket, butchers shop and a wonderful Craft
shop with all sorts of interesting arts and crafts on sale.
village originally prospered under the Church of St John of
Beverley, who was given the land by King Athelstan but this was
taken over by the St Quintins who came over from France during the
reign of William The Conqueror. Thier hold over the village was
lost at the beginning of the 14th Century and the title went to
Gregory, Lord Dacre, and his wife Anna. Anna was widowed and when
she died in 1595 Brandesburton Manor was left in the trust of her
foundation, The Emmanuel Hospital in London, as there were no
children from the marriage and so no descendants. When the
hospital site was sold in 1841 the money raised was used to build
the original village school in her memory.
Cross stands on the small village green on Crosshill, but has
unfortunately been ravished by the passage of time and more
The Church, St Marys, dates back
to Norman times and has a square embattled tower at its west end.
The east window is a fine pointed one with five lights and
Brandesburton is now also famous for
its Billabong Jet Ski centre providing employment and pleasure
throughout the year.
It can also boast a fine golf course
called The Hainsworth Park Golf Club, The Burton Lodge Hotel and
The Dacre Lakeside camping and caravan Park.